No one is excited about getting a colonoscopy.
The most unpleasant aspect of colonoscopy is bowel preparation. The actual procedure is often quick and painless.
Here are 10 tips for making your next colonoscopy more tolerable:
- Ice. Chill the bowel cleansing liquid by putting it in a fridge or ice bucket.
- Flavor. Add flavor with lemon juice, lemon slices or sugar free flavor enhancers like Crystal Light®.
- Straws. Use straw to drink the bowel cleansing agent. Sipping is better than gulping and reduces the bitter taste.
- Menthol. Sucking on menthol candy while you ingest the bowel cleansing liquid has been shown to improve the taste, leading to better bowel preparation.
- Sweets. For hunger pangs, you can have honey, hard candies, gelatin, popsicles, fruit ices and sorbet.
- Baby wipes. To reduce anal irritation, use the softest toilet tissue possible or flushable baby wipes.
- Movies. Watch an interesting movie to distract yourself and prevent boredom.
- Books. Get an interesting book to read. Learn something new or entertain yourself while you spend more time than usual on the toilet seat.
- Champion. Get someone to motivate you. The person can be your partner, a relative or a friend.
- Reward. Have a reward planned for a successful colonoscopy. Treat yourself to a nice meal or get yourself a gift.
Remember, the greatest reward is preventing colorectal cancer!