If you have diabetes mellitus, preparing for colonoscopy requires special instructions. Food, bowel preparation and the colonoscopy procedure affect your blood sugar. Make sure you discuss your diabetes with your physician before your colonoscopy.
Diabetes and colonoscopy. Why you need special instructions
- You cannot eat regular diet before your colonoscopy. As a result, your need for medications to lower your blood sugar is lower.
- Your blood sugar will fluctuate depending on what you eat therefore checking your blood sugar frequently is important.
- Diarrhea from the bowel cleansing agent can cause dehydration and affect your blood sugar.
Diabetes and colonoscopy. What to eat before colonoscopy
- Most people are on clear liquid diet a day before colonoscopy. Some people can eat low fiber diet a day before colonoscopy.
- Your doctor will direct you on what kind of food you can have a day before your colonoscopy. Clear liquid diet or low fiber diet.
Diabetes and Colonoscopy. How to take your bowel preparation agent
- There are 3 ways to take your bowel cleansing agent: the day-before regimen, the split-dose regimen, and the same-day regimen.
- The split dose regimen leads to cleaner colon and better polyp detection.
- Follow the instruction of your doctor on how to use your bowel cleansing agent.
Diabetes and Colonoscopy. How to take your diabetic medications.
- Take only half the usual dose of your pills or insulin the day before your colonoscopy while you’re on clear liquid diet.
- Check your blood sugar before meals and at bedtime on the prep day and the day of your colonoscopy.
- Do not take oral diabetic medications or short-acting insulin on the day of your colonoscopy.
- You may be told to take half the usual dose of your long-acting insulin on the day of your colonoscopy.
- If you have an insulin pump, your endocrinologist or diabetes specialist will give you instructions on what to do.
- Your doctors will guide you on how to take your medications before your colonoscopy.
Suggested reading before your colonoscopy
- How to hack your colonoscopy.
- My colonoscopy is tomorrow. What should I expect?
- Colonoscopy and Bowel prep frequently asked questions.