Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/bowelpre/public_html/wp-content/plugins/really-simple-facebook-twitter-share-buttons/really-simple-facebook-twitter-share-buttons.php on line 538
I am scheduled for a colonoscopy today and I am still pooping the morning of the colonoscopy. Is this normal? What do I do? It is normal. For piece of mind, you can wear a diaper to the surgery center.
There are 3 ways to clean out the colon before colonoscopy. Most people now use the split dose regimen for colonoscopy. It has been shown in multiple studies to be superior to the day before regimen in cleaning out the colon. In the split-dose regimen, half of the bowel cleansing agent is taken the night before the colonoscopy. The second half of the bowel cleansing agent is taken 4-5 hours before your colonoscopy.
Patients on the split-dose regimen are particularly worried about pooping the morning of the colonoscopy. If the colonoscopy is scheduled in the morning, they have to wake up in the middle of the night to take the second dose.
Still pooping morning of colonoscopy [Take Home Points]
- The less food you eat before your prep, the less you have to poop.
- Leave the worry behind. Take your bowel cleansing agent as instructed by your doctor.
- Towards the end, your poop will be clear yellow and less odorous.
- To protect yourself and reduce your fear, wear a diaper to the surgery center.
- Research showed that loperamide (Imodium) can reduce stool in the first portion of the colon (cecum). However, imodium is not routinely recommended after finishing your bowel cleansing agent.
- If you are worried about stool remaining in your colon, don’t be. The colonoscope can suction any remaining fluid or stool. Most of the time, remaining stool can be flushed with water and suctioned.
- Most surgery centers have diapers they can give you to wear after your colonoscopy.
- Never let the fear of still pooping morning of colonoscopy discourage you. Colonoscopy saves lives.
- Diarrhea after colonoscopy or no stool after colonoscopy.
- Poop. Everything you want to know but too shy to ask.
- All your colonoscopy questions answered.
- How to spot a complication after colonoscopy.